Friday, August 23, 2013

Getting the Fall/Winter Garden Ready

I'm getting excited about my Fall/Winter garden getting close to planting! I have seed catalogs ordered and they should be here any day so I can get seeds ordered. I had a fungal outbreak take out a whole crop of tomatoes a few years back which I believe began with seedlings I picked up from a hardware store. Since then I start practically all my veggies from seed. Currently I have the soil solarizing under a thin layer of clear plastic. I have done this every summer for approximately 6 years and have few issues with pests, disease or weeds. The plastic goes on early August and will come off sometime mid to late September. I have learned to use a thinner plastic as it seems to conform to the soil surface better which allows for better heating (and it's cheaper to buy).

No comments:

Post a Comment