Friday, August 23, 2013

Crop Selection

Despite how much I like to try new varieties, looking through my notes from last years Fall/Winter garden there are some varieties that did so well that I'm definitely planting them again this year. What's really nice is that I still have seed left from last year.  Here are the veggies and varieties that worked really well for me here in Hernando County last year:
Little Marvel English Pea-fast growing flavorful pea, very productive.
Guisante Sugar Snap Pea-very fast growing, great flavor, very productive.
Pericicaba Broccoli-produces a sweeter broccoli, with smaller florets.
Violetta Cauliflower-purple heads, good flavor.


These are my sugar snaps from last year, I underestimated their height potential when planning to use large tomato cages as supports. I ended up rigging tomato stakes to the cages to give them more support. It worked but looked pretty raggedy:) These are by far my favorite winter crop to grow as they tolerate a variety of weather conditions, produce prolific amounts of pea pods, and the taste is wonderful. My husband would eat handfuls of them straight off the vine (a benefit of growing them organically). The picture below is a baggie full from one harvest, and I harvested probably three times weekly. 




No comments:

Post a Comment