Friday, May 9, 2014

Garden Additions

My husband finally said those 6 words I've been dying to hear, "can we add to the garden?" The garden is primarily my area, and in the past it has been a minor battle to convince my husband to dig up perfectly good turf in the name of garden expansion. So this was a delightful turn of events.

Phase 1 of the expansion began approximately 2 months ago when I cleared an area along the fenceline to create a potato bed. I first planted  'Yukon Gold' seed potatoes, and they are growing very well ... at least above ground. Hopefully all this wild green growth will yield plenty of  delicious edible tubers in a few months. This past week I purchased some 'Georgia Jet' sweet potato slips which necessitated doubling the size of the potato bed.

'Georgia Jet' Sweet Potato slips in new bed

Potato bed, with new Sweet Potato slips on left, 
and 'Yukon Gold' Potatoes on the right


Phase II began last weekend my husband finally noticed that I don't have any corn growing in the garden this summer. When I told him that I didn't have any room for it, that's when he asked if we could add to the garden to grow some. This resulted in his 'Field of Dreams' moment where he identified an area about 20' x 30' that he wanted to clear, till and plant. So that was our projecct for this weekend.

Field of Dreams, 20' x 30' area with probably 80 baby 
'Golden Bantam Cross' corn plants just starting to emerge. 
Yes, my husband and I like to sit and watch our corn grow

No comments:

Post a Comment