Sunday, April 27, 2014

Summer Garden Status Update

At this point I have the bulk of the garden established, but still can't resist adding more stuff. Especially since I just harvested the last of the Kale (definitely planting this again next winter) and still have carrots in the ground.

So far, the tomatoes are doing great. Have had some minor insect issues with leaf miner, whitefly and aphids, but nothing that an application of spinosad can't cure.

The summer squash have already yielded 2 squash with several more ready to harvest by this weekend. However, I am already seeing signs of powdery mildew, my main garden nemesis.

Vermont Cranberry beans are going great, plants are already loaded with tons of pods and I am considering planting more when I pull the last of my carrots.

'Cossack Pineapple' Tomatillas are doing great and are loaded with fruit, so I am just waiting for the first one to ripen.

The Pepino's are ....growing.....sooo.....slowly. But I can't complain because the plants look healthy so I will just have to be patient.

The Yard Long Beans are not doing as well as expected, but I think the reason is that they are not getting enough water. My micro-irrigation system does not seem to reach the center of the beds very effectively. I will rectify this over the weekend. We also had a couple of late frosts which definitely impacted these as seedlings, not enough to kill them but enough to set them back.

The 'Seminole' Pumpkins are doing surprisingly well. No sign of powdery mildew, but we'll see how far into summer they will last.

The 'Pike' Muskmelon did not make it, they were hit with powdery mildew fairly quickly, which is a shame because their growth rate was phenomenal. I garden organically and will treat occasionally with organic pesticides and will occasionally use Neem oil for fungus. However, powdery mildew is not cured only controlled, and I refuse to spend all my time in the garden treating my crops. Especially there are so many other crops to grow that will thrive in our environment. Needless to say I ripped out the Muskmelon and replaced it with the Malabar spinach seeds that I forgot I purchased.

'Roma' Green Beans doing great, small pods already forming. I am hoping to have something to eat in another week.



No comments:

Post a Comment